The idea for this post was sparked the other day while I watched puffy white snowflakes fly all around the streets of Boston. It felt strangely like the holidays. Albeit a tad too early for my taste (being barely Nov 1)!
The snowflakes themselves were sparkling and it made me think of holiday *things* – things that glitter.
Remember, glitter and sparkle aren’t just for pageants and Halloween! The holidays are a perfect time to break out some sparkle. Below are some ideas if you want to get into the Holiday party spirit a little early.
- Deborah Lippman polish: *new* color called “Autumn in New York.” Autumn, winter, whatever. They’re both chilly seasons and this metallic gold polish is perfect for holiday fingers and toes. Click here to check it out: deborah lippmann Luxe Chrome Nail Lacquer; $20
DL’s “Autumn in New York” hello winter nails
- Rebecca Minkoff embellished winter white becky blazer: I’ll say it outright, this is pricey. Personally, I wouldn’t buy it because I’d spill red wine, chocolate, or something intensely dark on it. BUT, it’s so lovely, right? I picture it with black skinny jeans or trousers, tank underneath, heels, and a colorful clutch. Perfect for an after work holiday affair. The fabric and sparkles are high quality, picture doesn’t quite do it justice. Click here to check it out: Bloomingdales.com; $428
Rebecca Minkoff embellished blazer – so classy, so expensive, wah
- Splendid sparkle jersey dress: for a hot second I thought, no, this is too springy. But then, I got to talking with the Splendid saleswoman and she mentioned her manager wore it with tights, a pair of booties, and a cute blazer on top. Love it. The gold sparkle (might be hard to see in pic) on the cream color definitely gives off a holiday vibe. It also comes in black with gold sparkle. And love the hem line! Click here to check it out: Splendid.com; $158
Splendid cotton sparkle dress – comfy and whimsical!
- Bobbi Brown sparkle eye shadow: new news! the sparkle shadows are now a permenant part of the Bobbi Brown make up line. I’m a big fan of this brand and these shadows are super fun for the holidays. *11* different sparkly colors to choose from. Click here to check it out: Sephora.com; $32
Bobbi Brown sparkle shadow – bling up ya lids
- American Apparel sparkle leggings: every lady has to have a pair of sparkly leggings in her wardrobe. They’re more versatile than you think. Spice up that little black dress. Or, pair with some boots and a chunky sweater for a cozy yet fancy, holiday vibe. Click here to check it out: American Apparel Sparkle Pantyhose – White / Silver / XS/S; $10-$20
American Apparel sparkle tights – glam up ya gams
- JoJo Blings earrings: there is literally a color for any occasion and any outfit. These new cushion cut blings in *RUBY* are perfect for the Holidays. And frankly, any time of year. I love JoJo blings to bring a pop of color to any ole outfit choice. Click here to check it out: JoJolovesyou.com; $32
JoJo cushion blings in Ruby – how beautiful are these??
- Body Shop glazed apple sparkler: I came across this funky product at the airport. I don’t wear shimmer as much as I used to. I used to coat myself in glitter freshman year of college before going out on Saturday night. I swear, it was the “in” thing to be super sparkly all over. I like this shimmer for two reasons. 1. The packaging is adorable. It has the old fashion perfume puff. 2. It puts out just the right amount of shimmer. It’s not big pieces of glitter but small, silver sparkles that give a little glimmer. Totally fun for a night out. Add a little to your hair? You’re never too old for that! Click here to check it out: TheBodyshop.com; $14.40
Body Shop apple sparkler!
Today I FINALLY tried Manicube…this has been a long time coming for me. Let’s start with…
What is Manicube? (straight from their website):
- If you dread running beauty errands on lunch breaks and weekends, you are in for a treat. Manicube liaises with your office to come to YOU to provide manicures desk-side or in a conference room. Our manicures are quick without compromising quality so you stay professionally polished. We currently offer services in the New York City and Boston area markets.
- Manicube’s mission: The mission of Manicube is to make working women’s lives easier.
- Manicube provides women with confidence by offering manicures at their place of work. We hope to make their lives just a little bit easier while adding a bit of color and delight to their workdays! CC&NP LOVES THIS!
Manicube came to my previous company, Hill Holliday and also comes to Digitas where I now work in Boston.
Manicube set up shop on the 8th floor @ Digitas
How much is it?:
- I did the Everyday Mani for $15 not including tip (costs go up for other mani options – detailed below)
Why I love it:
- I just love the business idea. I mean, how cool?! It is so smart to me – just knowing how it is being in a busy industry and that getting out of the office for a manicure isn’t usually in the cards. The concept of the mani coming to you is lovely. Also, that your company is essentially saying ‘hey, it’s ok to take a few minutes to yourself to get this done.’ Everyone needs a break once in a while. And we all know (as shallow as it may sound) there is something to “keeping up your appearance” in the professional world . I don’t know about you – but when my nails are all gaggly, I tend to hide my hands! – so hey, treat yourself!
- You book online – pay with a cc and can include tip up front so all the $$ stuff is out of the way
- They have a fair cancellation policy. I booked a couple of weeks back and had to cancel last minute. I logged on, cancelled, and they applied a credit to a next visit. I thought that was great. I mean, it happens, sh*t pops up at the last minute so at least you don’t lose your money!
- Today, I went down to the 8th floor where Manicube set up in one of the empty offices
a lot of colors to choose from!
- My nail tech today was Dina and she was AWESOME. Super friendly and I learned that she also keeps a blog called: DinaDazStyleNInk.blogspot.com. She loves beauty, fashion, and tattoo design. LOVE IT.
- They had a bunch of different polishes to choose from (pic above). I went with “La Vie En Rose”/pastel petal pink by Deborah Lippman. I was pleasantly surprised to find they carried this brand. It’s on the pricier side – but its good polish and doesn’t include formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, dbp (dibutyl phthlate), or camphor, and are not tested on animals. No parabens, or sulfates
look at that pretty polish! La Vie En Rose by Deborah Lippman
- It was a nice service – quick, friendly, and relaxing. Within 15 minutes I was done. Dina applied a couple drops of nail-dry oil. And I was out the door with an added spring in my step
love my new manicure – thanks, Dina!
Seriously, 15 minutes and I was feeling good. I think it’s an excellent idea for companies to offer this type of service. Either because people don’t always have time to get out of the office/fit these things in OR because it’s a nice, simple treat during a hard working day in the corporate world.
Link to Manicube: manicube.com. You can also email them to see if they could come to your office or corporate event @ firstname.lastname@example.org