Tonight is a big night…Grammys…and The Walking Dead is BACK. Like most Bostonians, I’m sitting here as the snow continues to sprinkle down and isn’t anticipated to stop until late tomorrow. This means – tonight is a great night for red wine and eating snacks in bed.
As I watch the celebs walk the red carpet, I couldn’t help but think of a few GRAMMY AWARDS BEAUTY PICKS of my own. Admittedly, I’m a glass of wine (or so) deep and feeling compelled to share this while the topic is HOT. Below are a few red carpet worthy beauty items that can work on or off the red carpet.
- This light diffusing powder palette. A trio of 3 powders that aim to be applied after make up application to finish, soften, and diffuse light. I tried this palette last night at Sephora and instantly fell in love with the way it helped smooth out my skin and brighten my look. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette / $58
This palette by Hourglass will help you use light to your advantage! (and minimize the shine)
- A luxurious way to apply liquid or powder foundation. This brush. It’s so soft. It has 2 tiers of super soft bristles. It pairs well with the above Hourglass palette. It makes for a super smooth finish regardless if you use liquid or power foundation. Worth the splurge. Something worth investing in = good make up brushes. Make Up For Ever 122 Blending Brush / $48
This Make Up For Ever brush…is where it’s it. Soft bristle that help you blend to perfection.
- A smooth and long-staying eyeliner. Regardless if your eyes tear from the wind or if you’re crying because you won your first Grammy, this eyeliner DOES IT. It comes in over TWENTY colors. I’m a fan of “dark chocolate brown.” This liner has staying power but can be buffed after application to create a more subtle line. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes / $19
This Make Up For Ever eyeliner will give you drama but not run down ya face. It can be smudged for a less defined look.
- A gloss with color and moisture. Face it, a pop of color (or 5) is perfect for the Grammys. It’s also great during the dull winter months. They call this a “tinted oil.” It does go on slicker (not sticky!) because it has jojoba oil as a main ingredient. I love how soft it feels and how the color slowly develops. I like “Pink About Me 8.” Oh and the tube packaging is GORGEOUS. So pretty and dying to be carried around daily. The applicator is a little pair of lips…adorable. Yves Saint Laurent Volupte Tinted-In-Oil / $32
this this this YSL lip OIL. Try it. It’s amazing. A pop of color and guaranteed conditioned lips.
- A dramatic, volumizing (yet not drying) mascara. No one wants crusty lashes. No on wants running mascara. In comes THIS mascara by YSL. Makes lashes fuller and softer. I got a sample of this from Sephora and used it religiously. Such a great mascara. Lashes really do look “baby doll-like” after application. Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Babydoll / $30
Eyelashes like a Babydoll by YSL. This sh*t is no joke
And for those of us on the couch (or lounging in bed) below are 2 of my Sunday favorites:
- This silky smooth robe. I literally wear it around the house and fall asleep in it. Yes, it’s floor length which might scream “old lady” to some – BUT the material is so buttery soft and the fit is flattering. Grab it in black and you’ll feel sexay and comfy. Natori ‘Shangri-La’ Robe / $98
Hugh Huffna be jealous if you wear this robe. It’s screams “queen of da house”
- This divine hair masque to smooth out locks. While watching these great shows – why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone? After shampooing, comb through a dollop of this amazing hair masque. Leave for 10 mins and wash out. Not only does it smell AMAZING (the signature, addictive, Oribe scent) but it will leave your hair super soft and detangled. Do it. Trust me. Oribe Signature Moisture Masque / $59
Smooth your hair. Watch TV and condition that do’ with Oribe’s signature masque
What are YOUR favorite Grammy Awards beauty looks?
The idea for this post was sparked the other day while I watched puffy white snowflakes fly all around the streets of Boston. It felt strangely like the holidays. Albeit a tad too early for my taste (being barely Nov 1)!
The snowflakes themselves were sparkling and it made me think of holiday *things* – things that glitter.
Remember, glitter and sparkle aren’t just for pageants and Halloween! The holidays are a perfect time to break out some sparkle. Below are some ideas if you want to get into the Holiday party spirit a little early.
- Deborah Lippman polish: *new* color called “Autumn in New York.” Autumn, winter, whatever. They’re both chilly seasons and this metallic gold polish is perfect for holiday fingers and toes. Click here to check it out: deborah lippmann Luxe Chrome Nail Lacquer; $20
DL’s “Autumn in New York” hello winter nails
- Rebecca Minkoff embellished winter white becky blazer: I’ll say it outright, this is pricey. Personally, I wouldn’t buy it because I’d spill red wine, chocolate, or something intensely dark on it. BUT, it’s so lovely, right? I picture it with black skinny jeans or trousers, tank underneath, heels, and a colorful clutch. Perfect for an after work holiday affair. The fabric and sparkles are high quality, picture doesn’t quite do it justice. Click here to check it out: Bloomingdales.com; $428
Rebecca Minkoff embellished blazer – so classy, so expensive, wah
- Splendid sparkle jersey dress: for a hot second I thought, no, this is too springy. But then, I got to talking with the Splendid saleswoman and she mentioned her manager wore it with tights, a pair of booties, and a cute blazer on top. Love it. The gold sparkle (might be hard to see in pic) on the cream color definitely gives off a holiday vibe. It also comes in black with gold sparkle. And love the hem line! Click here to check it out: Splendid.com; $158
Splendid cotton sparkle dress – comfy and whimsical!
- Bobbi Brown sparkle eye shadow: new news! the sparkle shadows are now a permenant part of the Bobbi Brown make up line. I’m a big fan of this brand and these shadows are super fun for the holidays. *11* different sparkly colors to choose from. Click here to check it out: Sephora.com; $32
Bobbi Brown sparkle shadow – bling up ya lids
- American Apparel sparkle leggings: every lady has to have a pair of sparkly leggings in her wardrobe. They’re more versatile than you think. Spice up that little black dress. Or, pair with some boots and a chunky sweater for a cozy yet fancy, holiday vibe. Click here to check it out: American Apparel Sparkle Pantyhose – White / Silver / XS/S; $10-$20
American Apparel sparkle tights – glam up ya gams
- JoJo Blings earrings: there is literally a color for any occasion and any outfit. These new cushion cut blings in *RUBY* are perfect for the Holidays. And frankly, any time of year. I love JoJo blings to bring a pop of color to any ole outfit choice. Click here to check it out: JoJolovesyou.com; $32
JoJo cushion blings in Ruby – how beautiful are these??
- Body Shop glazed apple sparkler: I came across this funky product at the airport. I don’t wear shimmer as much as I used to. I used to coat myself in glitter freshman year of college before going out on Saturday night. I swear, it was the “in” thing to be super sparkly all over. I like this shimmer for two reasons. 1. The packaging is adorable. It has the old fashion perfume puff. 2. It puts out just the right amount of shimmer. It’s not big pieces of glitter but small, silver sparkles that give a little glimmer. Totally fun for a night out. Add a little to your hair? You’re never too old for that! Click here to check it out: TheBodyshop.com; $14.40
Body Shop apple sparkler!
We all have a few beauty tools up our sleeve. Tools we’ve used for years and ‘swear by.’ Below I wanted to share a couple of mine with you. Some of them ain’t that sexy – but they do the trick. If it’s pesky hairs, dark circles, or greasy hair…we all have our gripes…so please feel free to share your beauty tool staples with us!
- Sephora Targeted eye remover swabs – ($9 @ Sephora) I saw these in the check out line at Sephora. Those damn bins full of goodies always get me while I wait! This time however, I found something great AND functional. Ever have trouble getting the left over eyeliner or mascara off of your lash line? These babies will do the trick. They are also travel-friendly. No more spilling liquid eye remover! These swabs can fit easily and legally within a carry on or purse for seamless airline travel
Uber convenient Sephora Eye Remover Swabs
- Pssssst Dry Shampoo – ($7, available at most pharmacies but also @ Drugstore.com) yes, I’ve blogged about the wonders of dry shampoo before. I even have another favorite brand (Suave). But the other day when my husband was swinging by CVS, I asked him to pick me up a bottle since I was running out. Apparently, he couldn’t find the Sauve brand. So he brought home Psssst. I laughed out loud at the name. But then I tried it. It works! Perfectly. And smells nice too. They also re-designed the bottle so it’s a bit more modern 😉
dang, look at that product re-design! Psssst Dry Shampoo is modernized and works great!
- Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Eye Roller in Sheer Tint – ($12.99, available at most pharmacies but also @ Drugstore.com) I’ll start by admitting that this isn’t a “natural” beauty product but I often exercise the saying ‘everything in moderation.’ Same thing with gummy frogs. I bought this roller off a recommendation from a friend. I was skeptical. But it has become an AM staple for me if I am running out of the house to do some errands or, even going for a work out. No, I don’t think I ‘need’ make up for these things but sometimes I need a little ‘spruce up’ so I can feel better. So I do one roll under each eye, a couple pats, and BOOM, I look less tired. Love this product. I’ve tried other ‘higher end’ alternatives…and still haven’t found one better than this
bye bye raccoon eyes! Garnier’s eye roller works MAGIC
- Plackers Dental Flossers Gentle Fine – ($2.99, available at most pharmacies but also @ Drugstore.com) I hate flossing. I don’t do it everyday, eek. But when I do, I use Plackers. These little thingies get right in between my teeth. I find them quicker and easier to use than regular floss. I keep a bowl-full in the bathroom
screw dental floss. Use these handy, quick Placker picks
- Sally Hansen Microwaveable Eyebrow, Face, and Lip Wax – get the non-strips kind – ($6, available at most pharmacies) I always keep this on hand. I opt for the salon when it comes to my eyebrows because there is definitely a ‘design element’ to waxing the ‘brows. But, one area you can do on your own is the mustache. That’s right…the dreaded upper lip hair. And with Sally Hansen, there really is no excuse to let this grow in. I won’t lie…every once in awhile my husband nicely points out that I might want to ‘wax my mustache.’ And no, I don’t get mad…I freaking microwave this stuff and wax that stache off! It is super easy and comes with a small pot of wax in a microwaveable container, mini tweezers, and a Popsicle-type stick for application. The only caution I will mention – be sure to not overheat the wax. I typically microwave for 2 minutes, max. But to be sure, if you dip the Popsicle stick in and the wax runs off like water…it’s too hot. Wait until it has a slow, honey-like drip. You can always test on another area first (hand?) before applying to your face, just to be sure. This stuff is amazing and cheap. It picks up all those pesky hairs. Save yourself the money, do your ‘stache at home. Does it hurt? Um ya, it hurts a bit to pull ya hair out. But, I think it’s more bearable because YOU pull the wax yourself, you’re in control!
pot of gold right here. Sally Hansen Wax Kit for face!
- Philips Precision Perfect Trimmer – this isn’t for what you think. It’s for those pesky facial hairs. For me, it’s the peachy fuzz. My sister once told me I had a blond beard. What a sweetheart. Either way, I keep this handy tool nearby to quickly clean up pesky, long hair. Maybe I should keep this beauty tool to myself since I’m sure some people will think I’m a hairy polar bear. But no, I’m not that selfish. This thing works wonders. And I’d rather trim than wax my ENTIRE face. Oh and, I don’t think my hair is laser-removal appropriate. Even if it is, I’d rather spend my money elsewhere right now. You may (secretly) thank me later for this tool
a handy tool to have. Philips Precision Trimmer set