Yes, I write about products all the time. So many options. BUT recently I started using something new…and you know what?
It’s not expensive, at all
It’s not exotic (aka hard to find)
You’ve heard of it before
It’s so simple, you prob won’t believe how great it is
I started using it after I ran out of a VERY overpriced serum. And I saw better results with this < $15 product than that $135 serum. It’s true – price ain’t nothing but a number.
Krystina, one of the (awesome!!) medical estheticians at Belle Sante Spa in Boston, MA – suggested I try this product on my face instead of coconut oil. As a medical esthetician, Krystina, is a believer in science for skincare but she also promotes the benefits of natural skincare methods. This was one product she suggested as an easy and very beneficial add to any skincare routine.
Soooo, What is it?
- JOJOBA OIL
- The oil is derived from the Jojoba seed; although we call it an “oil” it’s actually a liquid wax
- Want to know how to pronounce it properly? It’s one of life’s great mysteries – click here. I still can’t say it without laughing.
What type should you get?
- 100% pure jojoba (organic and/or pesticide-free); it has a light golden color. Some say it has a light nutty smell. The kind I use doesn’t smell like much at all – which I like
Why is it great?
- Anti-inflammatory properties, helps to heal irritated skin (think: eczema, psoriasis, sunburns)
- Anti-aging agent due to moisturizing & hydrating properties (without being too greasy)
- Smaller molecular structure than coconut oil so it sinks into skin better. This was a BIG selling point for me. Coconut oil is great for hair and body – but jojoba oil is better suited for your face/neck
- Anti-bacterial properties – given this, it helps fight acne and blemishes. I have not had a pimple since using this
- Helps regulate production of sebum – which can help counter excess oil production, clogged pores etc.
When do I use it?
- Every damn day. Day and night.
- After I wash and tone – I apply this before my Skinceuticals Vitamin B serum. Then, I let it sit and then apply serum & moisturizer on top
- It sinks it well but if there is excess for some reason – I blot with a tissue
How much do I use?
- 2-3 drops or so for my entire face and neck
Probably the most riveting video you’ll ever watch. I want you to see the texture of it and how it sinks in. I used only a couple drops for my hand – but you can see how well it spreads and sinks in. Side note: be gentle rubbing into your skin especially your face (for some reason, my application looks a little rough in this vid). See below:
Where can you get it?
- I got mine at Whole Foods. I started with a baby sizes bottle and then upgraded to the 8oz size (pictured above). I like this brand: The JoJoba Company
- Random tip: when I want to travel with it – I squeeze some into a ziplock bag and double bag it.
- You can also buy here:
Click here to buy —> Hobacare Jojoba Oil 8.45oz oil
I kid you not, this is an amazing product. For all the random creams and fancy serums I’ve tried – this is skincare simplicity at its best and it works.
There are other uses for jojoba that you can read about – including: eye make up remover, hair/moisturizing treatment, it is also a great carrier oil for massage!
Have you treated jojoba oil before?