Following up on the “do you look good in watermelon pink” post (see link below if you missed it) — it was brought to my attention that we also need to give a shout out to a great highlighting product, also by Benefit. It’s called Girl Meets Pearl “a soft golden pink, liquid pearl highlighter.” This highlighter is best used on the cheeks – I usually put it over my blush – more details below
Girl Meets Pearl highlighter by Benefit
Although I can’t pull off the watermelon pink – I do use blush everyday – and layering on this highlighter freshens up my make up routine in the summer.
How to use it:
- After applying make up – including foundation/concealer, bronzer, and blush – grab ‘Girl Meets Pearl’
- The product comes out by cranking the bottom – it only needs a couple of twists! See below:
this is actually more than enough product!
- Use a cotton round or make up sponge for application – I typically swipe the round across the top of the highlighter, and then apply directly to my cheeks in a sweeping motion. I focus on the apples of my cheeks and sweep upwards
Here’s a before:
eeek no make up
After (with blush + highlighter):
pretty glimmering effect!
Ok, so I did those pics with my cellphone, the quality is iffy…I hope you get the gist. This highlighter is a great accent make up. I usually save it for the weekends…and wear it over my blush when I’m going out a night. It doesn’t make you look greasy…it’s a nice iridescent color. Oh and…it seems to work on any skin tone, ya! 🙂
More info from Benefit:
What it does:
For a delectable glow, fancy up with this golden-pink liquid pearl luminizer. Its sheer, light-reflecting formula in a fresh, raspberry scent glides on smoothly for a breathtakingly radiant complexion. Wear it alone for a youthful dewy glow, or over makeup for lustrous “pearlessence.”
Where to find: Sephora, Macys, wherever Benefit is sold!
Cost: $30 – should last a good summer since you only need a couple clicks each time!
The lady at the Benefit counter dusted the Bella Bamba ‘watermelon pink’ blush on my friend Kristi’s cheeks. I loved the pop of pink color, the shimmer, and how it highlighted. I HAD to have it too. So, I bought it…
…then one day I randomly caught my reflection in the bathroom mirror at work…I was pale with watermelon pink cheeks, something wasn’t right. That was the day I realized, I couldn’t pull off the watermelon pink.
Later, it was explained to me that it could be because of the more ‘green (i.e. cool) undertones in my skin.’ Woof. My friend Kristi – and my other friend Robyn, who ended up getting my failed blush purchase look great in this blush. But why?
Both of them have more yellow/olive (warm) undertones in their skin. To explain this better – they both tan easily, get more brown…whereas I get more berry colored. They also have dark hair and eyes, while I’m blonde (well, fake blonde) with hazel eyes. I’m thinking all these things factored in. So – although it didn’t work on me…I find it GORGEOUS on these other ladies and their skin tone…and if you have similar characteristics – this blush could work for you too! It’s certainly one of the summers ‘it’ blush colors.
Here’s a pic of Robyn sporting the Bella Bamba blush:
Robyn is quite tan right now - so the pink is pretty subtle...but you can tell that its a nice pinky accent on her cheek!
What’s Bella Bamba all about:
- It’s one of Benefits newer blushes
- Bella Bamba is a deeper pink color, with gold shimmers – definitely, a playful tone!
- The color is definitely pink (not peach)
- It’s supposed to ‘brighten and sculpt’
- It comes in a more convenient flip-top case, with a small mirror on the inner cover, and stays shut because it’s magnetized
- The 0.28 oz container costs $28 (I’ve heard that Benefit has decreased the size of the blush container while keeping the price the same, booo to them!)
- But, the blush should last a good amont of time – since you only need a couple swipes per cheek, per application to get the pinky-shimmery color
Although it didn’t look fly on me – it could work on you! It’s a fun color for the summer.
Available at most dept stores, and Sephora: