As follow-up to the ‘splurge: eyelash extensions‘ post, I wanted to post about a less expensive way to get a similar look.
While you can get false eyelashes applied at your local beauty counter (i.e. the Benefit counter @ Macy’s) for less, the below is a more cost-effective, do-it-yourself alternative.
It is now a tried & adopted part of one of my good friend, Kristi’s ‘going out’ beauty routine. Kristi’s lashes always look great when we go out at night. She uses the individual/clump false lashes vs. the strips. She said, she’s had a hard time keeping the edges of the strips down, they often pop/peel up during the night, eek! Also, with the individual ones, you can decide what amount of ‘vavoom’ you want. They are easier to put on too.
She swears by the Ardell brand false lashes and adhesive (info below).Apparently, she tried Revlon lashes but they didn’t do the trick…so now she sticks with Ardell which specializes in false lashes. And the great thing is, you can easily find these FOR CHEAP at your local pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens).
Kristi showed me how to apply these over 4th of July weekend, and I was impressed. She put only a few on the outer corner of my eyes and they came out great. My eyes did not get irritated.
Below is the ‘recipe’ and instructions for these at-home, do-it-yourself false eyelashes.
What you need:
- Package of individual false lashes
- Recommended: Ardell Durlash Naturals Flare, Medium Black – you can buy these at CVS or Walgreen. There is a link at the bottom of this post to view/purchase through drugstore.com, as well! ~$3.50 on the site
- Tube of eyelash adhesive in clear
- Recommended: Ardell LashTite Eyelash Adhesive Clear you can buy these at CVS or Walgreen. There is a link at the bottom of this post to view/purchase through drugstore.com, as well! ~$3.50
- A mirror
- Clean hands
- Clean and dry eye lids
- Your fingers!
- Optional: tweezers (can use instead of your fingers)
- Other optional items: toothpick, liquid liner, eyelash curler
- For removal: preferably oil-based eye make up remover
Instructions (remember, practice makes perfect, it can take some time to get the hang of false eyelash self-application):
- First, be sure NOT to use any oil based make up or make up remover near your eyes when applying false lashes. If you DO use it for some reason, make sure it is wiped clean, because this can effect the adhesive
- Tip: The fake lashes can be trimmed before you apply them. Some people think they are too long, so trim off a bit before applying for a more natural look. Also, if they’re too long, it can be uncomfortable. Do NOT trim them once they’re on, you don’t want to poke your eye out!
- Tip: give the adhesive 30 seconds to a minute to become tacky before applying, makes it easier for lashes to stick. Never put adhesive directly on your eyelid!
- Tip: Don’t use too much glue, although the recommended Ardell brand dries clear, you want to use sparingly. Using a toothpick to apply the glue to the tip of the fake lashes can help
- Tip: if you don’t want to put lashes across your whole lid, put a few on the outer corners…to make your eyes pop!
- When you want to remove the false eyelashes, be gentle. Don’t pull them off without using eye make up remover! Let the eye make up remover soak in for a couple of minutes. An oil based remover works best, the oil will loosen the false lashes
- Tip: because they are inexpensive, I recommend throwing out the lashes when you’re done and using clean/fresh ones next time! But, some people clean them according to manufacturer’s directions, and re-use
NOTE: Typically, these false lashes are recommended for special occasions and suggested not to be worn regularly…to avoid infection or irritation from the adhesive
These false lashes are a cheaper alternative because most ladies have the majority of these materials on hand. The false lashes and adhesive will cost you <$10!
Good luck, and let me know if you try this / how it goes!
Ardell Lashes and Adhesive Found here:
- Lashes: http://www.drugstore.com/ardell-duralash-naturals-flare-medium-black/qxp146390?fromsrch=fake+eyelashes
- Adhesive: http://www.drugstore.com/ardell-lashtite-eyelash-adhesive-clear/qxp21713?fromsrch=eyelash+glue
(sources: http://www.ehow.com/how_6836026_apply-individual-fake-eyelashes.html & http://www.celebrity-beauty-tip-goldmine.com/how-to-apply-false-eyelashes.html)